FIRST STEPS TO TAKE AFTER AN
AUTO ACCIDENT OR CAR ACCIDENT
Car crashes can involve many complexities. In the event that you are involved in a car or truck crash, your first priority should be to handle any urgent medical needs for yourself and your passengers.
Once you have taken care of yourself, and assessed the situation, try to obtain as much information as possible from the other party.
Peter Goldstein recommends that you:
- Do not admit fault for the accident regardless if you think you may be partially at fault and do not make any statements to any insurance adjusters or representatives.
- Seek medical attention immediately. Although you think you may feel fine or that your injuries are not serious, some symptoms, particularly head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries, can initially involve dizziness and no loss of consciousness. If you have a head injury with the concussion diagnosis you should have, at a minimum, a CT scan at an emergency room. They may do an MRI later to determine the full extent of the trauma. Soft tissue injuries may appear several days following the crash. If you wait too long to seek medical attention the insurance company will argue that any delay is evidence that you really were not injured. My experience is that insurance companies glob onto any fact they can to argue that the injury is not serious or that they’re not responsible.
- Take photographs. Most people have a smart phone so this is easy. Even though years ago, it was unusual to see parties photograph their vehicles at the scene. First, take photographs before the vehicles get moved. Also, it is important that you take photographs of your injuries. Some injuries may heal quickly, the sooner you take a photograph, the easier it is to prove the injury.
- Take detailed notes regarding both your injuries and the crash. Try to obtain as much information as you can about witnesses including their telephone numbers and addresses. There may be individuals in the car that hit you so it is important that you get their names and addresses too. Obviously if they don’t want to release that information then you cannot force them to, but at least make the effort.Inspect the crash scene for any potential dangerous conditions such as an intersection with poor visibility due to inadequate lighting, malfunctioning traffic lights or stop signs that may not be clearly visible. There may have been a history of prior accidents at the location of the accident, if so, it is potentially a case involving a dangerous condition of public property which may be the primary reason for the accident. There are statewide databases that have a wealth of information about the history of accidents at particular intersections, including SWTTRS.
- Speak to a lawyer as soon as you can, because having experienced and knowledgeable representation is vital in protecting your rights. This may seem obvious but obtain the insurance policy information, the name and driver’s license number and license plates of other vehicles involved including their make and model and approximate year.
We represent injured persons in various accidents including drivers, passengers, pedestrians, motorcyclists, bicyclists, buses and passengers in limousines, taxicabs, Ubers and Lyfts. Even if you do not have insurance or a driver’s license and think that you may be not entitled to make a damage claim, you still have rights. The right to a claim is available to those who are either not at fault or are partially at fault if you are injured. Call me today and I can explain these rights to you.
IMPORTANCE OF HAVING A CAR CRASH ATTORNEY
If you are injured in a crash, you will need an experienced attorney to help you claim fair compensation from the insurance company and from the negligent party.
Insurance companies earn their income from premiums and attempt to pay out as little as possible when claims are filed with them. The insurance company will try to minimize your claim by arguing that there is not an injury or car damage sufficient enough to justify compensation.
Minor impacts can cause serious injuries. Some people may even walk away without a scratch in major rollover accidents. However, medical tests and clinical examinations may reveal more serious injuries than what may have been initially realized.
If you are seriously injured, a lawyer can help you obtain the compensation that you deserve from either the adverse insurance company or from your own insurance company, in the event that the other party is uninsured or underinsured. If the negligent party does not have insurance, then you may make a claim against your own insurance company. You should not make statements to your insurance company and avoid giving a recorded statement to any adjuster. Our firm advises clients to state that they are consulting with lawyers and that they do not want to make a statement.
In a car crash, the attorney’s job is to obtain the maximum benefit for his client. The Law Office of Peter Goldstein has many years of experience dealing with taking on these claims.
TYPES OF CAR CRASH COMPENSATIONS
The Law Office of Peter Goldstein may be able to win you compensation for past and future medical bills, lost wages, lost earning capacity, property damage, and court costs.
Our firm also obtains compensation for your pain, suffering, anxiety, inconvenience, stress, and loss of quality of life that you have experienced as a result of the accident.
Damages for pain and suffering involve a qualitative analysis of how your life has been affected. As your personal injury attorney, Peter Goldstein will be on your side to get you full and fair compensation.
ADVICE FOR SOMEONE INVOLVED IN A CAR CRASH WITH AN UNINSURED DRIVER
Inquire whether or not the other driver was driving in the course and scope of his employment. The employer may be held liable for the accident if the uninsured person was doing an errand for his employer at the time of the crash.
Check your own insurance coverage for an uninsured motorist policy that will compensate you when the other driver does not have insurance of his own.
PREPARING FOR THE INITIAL CONSULTATION AT THE LAW OFFICE OF PETER GOLDSTEIN ON A CAR CRASH CASE
We ask that you bring the declaration page of your insurance policy, a field investigation card to obtain the police report, photographs, car repair estimates and invoices, if available. We will order all of your medical records and medical bills after the initial consultation. If you are in Nevada, the investigating officer will provide a receipt containing the traffic identification information which our firm will use to obtain the report. We do not require any of these documents for the initial consultation.
HOW OUR FIRM CAN HELP
Years of proven experience are important when choosing a lawyer. Many lawyers market their services by advertising on billboards or TV regarding how they are supposedly the “number one trial lawyer in Las Vegas” or how they will get you the quickest settlement; but, a quick settlement is not always in your best interest. It takes years of trial experience to know the value of a case and the likelihood of success.
Aside from experience, you will also want to ascertain whether you will be comfortable working with the attorney and whether you will be working directly with the lawyer or with a member of his staff.
Peter Goldstein has over 30 years of personal injury experience in California and Nevada. We encourage you to call us to schedule a free consultation to determine how we can help you. Peter Goldstein personally oversees every aspect of the case in order to provide you with the best result.
If you are involved in a different accident such as Casino Accident, Bicycle Accident, Motorcycle Accident, Slip and Fall, Truck Accident, or Police Misconduct, don’t hesitate to call us, we can help you.