– OR –
JUST FIND YOUR ANSWERS BELOW:
If the case does not resolve during the prelitigation process I then file a complaint for damages. Next, I have a summons issued and have the process server serve the defendant with a summons and complaint. Once the case has been served and the defendant has answered, I gather all more information about the case to prepare for trial.
The information gathering phase of the case is called discovery, and it involves sending written demands for information to the defendant, take the depositions of witnesses and subpoena records. Once discovery is completed, and the expert witnesses have been retained and deposed the court usually tries to encourage the parties to settle because at this point we know the strengths and weaknesses of each side’s case.
If the case does not settle I take the case to trial. Most litigated cases last between 1 and 2 years.
If I don’t win your case, you don’t pay me anything. As far as the percentage that I charge it also depends on the case, generally most personal injury lawyers charge one third before trial.
Again, I am always open to discussing the percentage of the contingency fee with my client and want to make sure that you are comfortable with my fee and that it is a fair fee for the work performed.
Do not apologize or admit you did anything wrong. Do not sign anything.
That varies from case to case, but in general compensation for personal injuries depends on:
- The past and future medical bills
- The seriousness of your injuries
- Whether you are able to continue to work after being injured.
Yes, but you are a great deal more likely to get a good result if you let me handle the case so you get the benefit of:
- 30 years experience as an attorney
- Knowledge of legal procedures and substantive law
- Experience negotiating with insurance defense lawyers
- Knowledge of judges and mediators and jury venues in the courthouse your case will be filed and tried
- A multijurisdictional lawyer with full time, experienced staff ready to get you the best result possible