Cases that involve accidents such as trip and falls at a business such as hotel, restaurant, casino
or grocery store are called premises liability cases. If you have been injured at a business, there
are many steps you should take immediately afterwards.

First, you should document the accident and your injuries. Take notes about where the injury
happened, including the name and address of the business. Take photographs of your injury if
possible and take photographs of the area where you were injured. For example, if you were
injured by slipping in a puddle of water or tripping over something, take pictures of it. If there
were witnesses, ask if you can get their contact information. Contact an employee of the business
and report the incident. Take notes about what the employees and witnesses say and do. Do not
sign any statements by the business. The business cannot force you to do so. Do not apologize or
admit fault for the accident either orally or in writing.

If you were injured by a deliberate act of a third party, for example, if you were assaulted by
another customer at the business, you should call 911 and ask for the police immediately.
If you are injured, it is important that you seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Waiting to
see a doctor makes it seem like your injuries are not very serious, which can hurt your case. Your
medical providers can be paid by what you win in the lawsuit if you cannot afford to pay them or
do not have insurance.

You should not provide statements of your own to the business or its insurance company. If
someone from the business or its insurance company calls you later, tell them you are seeking an
attorney who will contact them later. If they contact you in writing, save the documents so I can
see them, but do not respond to them.

Peter Goldstein – A Personal Injury and Civil Rights Lawyer

Write a comment:


Your email address will not be published.

Any information presented on this site regarding personal injury accidents, business litigation and civil rights cases is not legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. This website is for informational purposes only for residents of California or Nevada.